Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To New Jersey

Happy Birthday America! What a crazy 4th of July weekend it was. Mostly sitting on the raft in the pool. People ask me what I did, I say, "I did nothing...it was fantastic." Actually I bought some fireworks using a "hole" in the new PA laws. No longer do I have to make the annual Cheifet pilgrimage to South Carolina. And for all of you idiots out there who say you can buy fireworks in other, closer states, well...you are idiots. Look it up, you can't.

Anyway, in my never-ending quest to be frugal (and get from CT to PA as quickly as possible), I decided to not get gas in CT ($3.29/gallon) where it is very overpriced and see if I could make it to the Mecca of cheap gas in the Northeast...drumroll please...New Jersey. Granted it was a good 60 miles away from work and my trip calculator said I had 60 miles to empty but I decided to go for it. Like Cosmo Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld where he drives the SAAB further left of the E than anyone in history. It was quite a thrill.

Well, long story short... I guess it's not really a long story, I just sat in my car driving as fast as possible to New Jersey. I make it to the border but of course there isn't a gas station right across the border so I have to keep driving. I get off at the first exit but of course there is no sign indicating which way to turn so I guess right. Pull up to a traffic light and ask the guy next to me where the closest gas station is. Luckily it was right around the corner. I pull in, proud of myself because I was about to pay $2.89/gallon and save $5. "Fill it up regular!" I say as the smile on my face grows. "We're all out, we just have premium." My smile turns to a frown as my savings just got cut in half.

Talk about Murphy's Law. The adrenaline rush was worth $5 but not $2.50. Oh well, lesson learned. And that lesson is...drumroll please...stop being so fucking cheap.

Happy July 4th!!!

No comments:

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com