Monday, July 24, 2006

Is This Movie Ever Going To End?

I must appologize for the long layoff between posts. I have not forgotten about you. I have been busy moving apartments...now the fifth place I have lived since moving to Connecticut. I am also still busy working outside everyday. It's tough being in the sunshine on the boat or walking the shores of New York City. I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it. It is this very job that got me thinking about this post. If you don't find it funny, well too bad, I do.

Last week was a boat day. Anyway, I had to inflate the boat using a foot pump and then carry it down the 20 foot slope before we could launch it. It was also 100 degrees outside but I don't have enough cheese to go with my wine so I will stop right there. I say "we" because I was with one of my female co-workers who couldn't carry much. Good thing I have been working out. So we are motoring up the Bronx River, which goes right through the middle of the Bronx Zoo, and we come to what appears to be a dam. Unfortunately, we didn't time the tides right so there was a 6 inch ledge standing in our way. Being the super-adventurous type, I decide that we can get out and pull the inflatable boat over the ledge and continue on our way. What happens next? You guessed it, I slip on the wet dam and fall into the river. It stunk, but sure did feel good.

As I am collecting myself and my newly ruined cell phone (it was my work phone so I didn't care) I notice my foot is stuck in the quicksand at the bottom of the river. It wasn't very pleasant. So what does this have to do with anything? Well it got me thinking about that classic scene from everyone's favorite 80s movie. No, not Willow. Nope, not Labrynth with David Bowie. Guess again. That's right...The Neverending Story.

Side note: The Neverending Story is called Die Unendliche Geschichte on imdb.com. This only confirms my theory, Germans love The Neverending Story.

So remember that scene where Atrex gives into The Swamps of Sadness and sinks into the quicksand as Atreyu watches and starts crying? Well I wasn't crying but it made me think about that movie and that scene with the quicksand as I was trying to dry out so the rest of my day wouldn't be miserable.

So my question is this: Don't you think it would have been funny, that when that movie was in the theaters, they just played it on repeat so it really was The Neverending Story? How many times would you have watched it before you got up and left? Would people even get the joke? This is an experiment that should have been done. Maybe on an episode of The Twilight Zone but the theater doors were locked so nobody could escape and really had to watch the same movie for the rest of eternity. So many possibilities.

P.S. Luckily the theaters didn't do this with The Matrix because I would have killed myself first.

No comments:

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com