Thursday, April 13, 2006

What's Under That Toga?

You can sleep soundly tonight knowing that I survived my first real dive in the East River yesterday despite getting my ass kicked by the current. As a result of my survival, the deep thoughts will continue to flow...no pun intended. Anyway, on to today's post.

When I came up after an hour and a half of looking at wooden telephone poles holding up a pier I could see across New York Harbor over to Liberty Island and of course the Statue of Liberty. As usual, this got me thinking. We all know that a bachelor is a man and bachelorette is a woman. Does this same metric work for statue and statuette? Should Lady Liberty really be called the Statuette of Liberty? Was Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters II right when he said, "Kind of makes you wonder, does she have anything on under that toga?" Or should he have said, "What is under that toga?"

Note: Yes, I know that a statuette is simply a small statue but then this post wouldn't have been as funny. Please keep that in mind before you send me a nasty email.

No comments:

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com