Friday, March 09, 2007

Ivy League Driving School


Last Tuesday reminded just how much I hate cold weather. Once again, I had to drive to Gloucester, MA for work. My task was to supervise a surveyor and tell him where along the coast he was to do his work. Very easy stuff but it beats being in the office behind a desk...at least until I got out of the car and felt those single digit temperatures and 30 mile per hour winds. In case you were wondering, the wind chill was around -40°F all morning. For you science nerds reading, -40°F is the same as -40°C.

Anyway, enough complaining, on to today's post. I was driving down the Mass Pike to my hotel in Gloucester and was cutoff by some asshole. If you know anything about me it's that I am a laid back guy and that extends to my driving...but only on city roads. Once I hit the highway I turn into a racecar (palindrome) driver and road rage comes easily. So I notice something that I have always thought about but never had an avenue with which to express my thoughts. Enter Jordon's Deep Thoughts.

Ah yes, the almighty college bumper/window sticker. Nothing wrong with showing some alma mater pride. I always thought it would be funny to get stickers from all of the Ivy League schools and put them on your car. That would basically say that you are smarter than everyone. My dad drives around with his Penn State and University of Hawaii stickers because he is proud of his boys but he didn't even go to those schools.

So my deep thought is as follows: Am I the only one who looks at the school name and immediately thinks of what the driver probably looks like and what type of car they are driving? Good school equals expensive car; average school equals average car. Well this guy had his Harvard University sticker proudly displayed on the back window of his rusted out Toyota Carolla. I would expect this Harvard alum to be wearing a tweed jacket and be driving a BMW. I mean at least that would explain why he thought he owned the road. But a Toyota Camry? That sounds like more of a car someone would drive if they graduated from a local community college.

But hey, who am I to judge. Oh wait, I'm the best driver alive. And don't get me started on NASCAR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he had to pay his own tuition.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com