Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What's In A Name?


In case you didn't know, I have moved to the Stamford office. If you don't watch The Office on NBC then you won't get that joke. But seriously, I did move this past week to a lovely new apartment in Stamford. It's the 6th place I've lived in since moving to Connecticut only 16 months ago. Talk about staying mobile. This only adds 5 minutes to my commute so I can still make it to work in about 30 minutes which is fine.

Anyway, I was driving to work this morning and happened to glance up at one of the signs above I-95.

Quick sidenote: Did you know that in California people say "The 5" instead of simply "5"?

So, the sign said Connecticut Welcome Center, 1 Mile. I have seen these signs a number of times all over the country but I can't say I remember thinking to myself, "I better stop, maybe there will be people in there who will be happy to see me. Maybe give me a small 'welcome gift bag' of goodies only found in that state." From what I can remember from all my stops at rests stops I don't remember anything like this. No balloon arch that says, "Welcome to (Insert State Here)". No cute girls handing out gift bags while wearing some sort of local attire. Usually it's just a dirty bathroom with a couple of vending machines. I think we should start writing out congressmen and state DOTs to remedy this clear violation of advertising integrity. Who's with me???

1 comment:

Cheifet said...

i find your take very interesting because i happen to totally disgaree.

i remember driving back from new orleans and seeing a million welcome centers nonstop. and i said what a waste of money it is to build and maintain a welcome center on the state line on every single highway that goes in and out of every state. especially when like u said they're usually just some crappy place that offers nothing more than a normal rest stop would.

i say get rid of them all.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com