Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Black Sunday


I really wrestled with the title of this blog post. Like many great writers, I don't give my work a title until I have completed it. This time though, two titles came to me at the same time. The other title was "A Black Sherriff?" made popular in the classic Mel Brooks movie Blazing Saddles. Now I am assuming that you can begin to guess what the subject matter of this blog post is going to be. Yes, it has something to do with the color black. And I can assure you that here at Jordon's Deep Thoughts I never shy away from being politically incorrect, just see my award winning coverage of September 11th and Hurricane Katrina.

As you all should know, this upcoming Sunday is Super Bowl XLI (41 for the Roman numeral impaired readers). Now, my collegues in the media feel the need to write countless stories about two subjects, both associated with blacks and the NFL. It is these two subjects that I will spend the next few paragraphs venting about.

First, unless you have been living under a rock...or don't want anything to do with sports...you know that this is the first Super Bowl to feature a black coach (actually both coaches are black). Personally, the fact that these coaches were black didn't even occur to me until the media brought it up. This was the same as a couple years ago when Donovan McChoke led the Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl. The media quickly said that he would be one of the first black quarterbacks to take his team to the Super Bowl. I think a lot of people have become color blind. They see a lot of these black athletes as simply athletes and only when the media reminds them of their color do we say, "Oh yeah, I guess he is black but so what?" If these minorities want to stop being discriminated against, stop reminding everyone that you are, in fact, a minority. Even Kobe Bryant was quoted recently as saying, "Hopefully there will come a day when we just look at them as coaches and not black coaches." Umm...Hello...that was your big chance idiot and now you haven't made any progress because you fell right into the media's trap. Congratulations.

Second, and this one really pisses me off. Being an engineer with some common sense, I like to use numbers to explain things and support my arguments. The sports media, specifically in football, is always talking about the hiring of minority coaches. Personally, I feel that the most qualified candidate should get the job and I don't think that view is racist in the least bit. I read a book entitled The End of Racism by Dinesh D'Souza where the author speaks of the idea of "fighting racism by practicing it." This all goes back to affirmative action but I am not about to tackle that idea in one blog post.

Anyway, my point is that the media says there are not enough black head coaches in the NFL. I just checked, last season there were 7 black head coaches in the NFL. There are 32 teams. That comes out to 22%. According to the U.S. Census Bureau the percentage of the U.S. population that is black is 12.3%. If you do that math that means there should be 4 black head coaches.

Translation: quit your complaining and everything will be fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is my blog, if you don't like it or agree with it, don't read it. But please leave me a comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordon you said it beautifully. How about the first jewish quarterback to play in the superbowl. HUH HUH

Cheifet said...

pure genius, i almost wrote a blog about this same topic. good thing i didn't, we woulda looked like idiots.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com