Monday, May 15, 2006

They're All Out, They Just Have Diesel

Hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day. If any of my readers are in fact mothers, then I would love to hear from you because I didn't think I had any readers, let alone readers with kids.

Anyone who drives a car these days, has turned the television on recently, or even slightly paid any attention to current events knows that gas prices are at an all-time high. I remember when I took a vacation to Lanai last February and laughed that gas was $3.15/gallon. Oops, I think I paid $3.11/gallon yesterday. The times they are a changing.

Anyway, as I was driving down the street looking at the marquee in front of each gas station, trying to find which one was the cheapest so I could save about $1.00, I noticed something interesting...which, of course, got me thinking. Remember when gas prices first went over $2.00/gallon right after Hurricane Katrina and none of the gas stations had enough "2s" to put up on the marquee? And recently they had to put "3s" up there too? Well this brings me to the topic of this post. Who are the manufacturers of these little plastic numbers?

Think about it for a second. For as long as I can remember gas was more than $1.00/gallon but less than $2.00/gallon. Thus, requiring gas stations to only need "1s". I did a little research and found that gas prices have not been below $1.00/gallon since the early 1980s. So how in the world have these little plastic number manufacturers stayed in business since then? Have they been sitting in their offices just hoping, praying, and waiting for the problems in the Middle East and Hurricane season to finally cause the prices to go up? Think about it, they probably haven't had any orders in years.

P.S. I don't want any emails dubunking my theory. I'm sure the little plastic number manufactures make other little plastic numbers too.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

I just saw that you took a look at my site. So just checking yours out.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com