Monday, February 06, 2006

America the Singular?

A very interesting thought crossed my mind while watching the national anthem last night during Super Bowl XL. And no, it wasn't that I hate Pittsburgh, the Steelers, and especially Steelers fans. It had to do with the good old U.S. of A. We all know (well some of us do) that there were 13 colonies and Delaware was the first colony to ratify the Constitution and become a state, followed by Pennsylvania. The dates were December 7, 1787 for Delaware and December 12, 1787 for Pennsylvania. So my question is this: What was America called during that 5 day period? It couldn't be the United States of America because there was only one state. Was it the United State of America?

Footnote: I have been trying to research this but to no avail. If any of my avid readers are history majors (good luck with that one) or history buffs (congrats on becoming a buff), then please let me know if you have any info on this topic.

(Update: 2/9/06)

I emailed a guy named Don Higginbotham, a history professor at the University of North Carolina, who specializes in colonial American history. He had no idea. Oh well, I guess it will remain a mystery.

No comments:

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com