Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Emily "Blog" Post

So I recently got an email from an old friend of mine. We exchange emails every few months to catch up each other up on our super exciting lives. Well to make a long story short it got me thinking about email etiquette, or e-etiquette as I like to call it. Mainly, what is the proper response time? This topic needs to be explored further and some rules should be developed in order to determine if someone is still your friend or you should cast them out into the internet ether, or e-ether as I like to call it. Below are my thoughts, please feel free to send me any comments or suggestions.

What is the etiquette regarding responding to emails? If it is from your significant other then you are expected to respond immediately, right? A close friend/family member maybe a couple of days? What about the friend who you write to every few months? Are you expected to respond right away? Personally, I always respond right away, i mean how hard is it to click reply and spend 5 minutes writing an email. If one party writes after a long time between emails and you write back quickly, then does the exchange end there with groups of two emails sprinkled over time? Or does a quick response bring the other person back into the close friend circle where emails should be exchanged more frequently?

This is what I think about. It's quite sad, I know.

2 comments:

Tom said...

well cheiefet, I sometimes wonder the same thing. I feel like if you respond to someone right away and they do re-respond within a day or two, or if they say, oh I have been busy, than they are not a true friend and you should cast them out. Nobody is too busy to read and email and then have to hurry off before writing..hi how are you..things are fine..gotta run..we should chat sometime..blah blah blah. okay im really busy right now so i have to go.

Anonymous said...

it is funny that you really did blog this. I half thought you were were kidding.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com