Monday, October 01, 2007

How About Them Phightin' Phils


WOW! My little Phillies finally made the playoffs. It's been a while, as you can tell by that picture on the right. I look a bit different than the picture in my profile. What a euphoric feeling for every Phillies fan around the world. I live in Connecticut where everyone is either a Yankees or Red Sox fan; they are used to winning. The Phillies on the other hand became the first (and only) professional sports franchise to lose 10,000 games this season. Needless to say, Philadelphia sports fans don't have much to cheer about. And when they do, their hearts are usually ripped out by the team choking. (See McChoke, Donovan. Super Bowl XXXIX) So anyway, at least for the next week, I am going to walk around with a smile on my face. Especially since I have many friends who are Mets fans. Talk about historic choke jobs.

Anyway, I was looking through my list of blog topics, trying to figure out what to talk about. Since we are talking about history, I decided to go with a thought I had a while ago while simply walking down the sidewalk.

Question. What do most people do while walking down the sidewalk? Answer. Whistle. When you walk down the street you probably whistle your favorite tune. Maybe something you heard on the radio on your way to work. Maybe a song that has been sitting in the back of your head for 10 years. Either way, you probably don't whistle too many original tunes. The tunes you whistle are delivered via radio, iPod, television, maybe a concert. Now lets go back in history a few hundred years...say 1757 (250 years). I assume mankind knew how to whistle 250 years ago. Is that a safe assumption? What did these people whistle? No radio. No iPod. No television. Maybe the upper class got to see a concert. Maybe a slave song or two. But walking down the sidewalk must have pretty quiet in the olde days. (See how I added the "e" to old to make it seem more authentic?)

Anyway, Go Phillies!

No comments:

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com