Monday, November 12, 2007

A State of Lonliness


I thought of something interesting while driving back from Philadelphia last night. Almost everyone who lives in the northeast is familiar with the term "Tri-State Area". It's always mentioned in regard to a sale at the car dealer or some stupid radio contest. I guess it kind of makes more people feel included in some sort of sales pitch. Is this term present in every part of the country? I know they don't say it in Hawaii; they say "The Islands" instead. What if you lived in, say, Reno, NV. The only state in the area is California. Do they say "Bi-State Area"? I bet the would make a lot of people uncomfortable. And what about if you lived near Four Corners where Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah come together? I guess it would be the "Quad-State Area"

So people of Reno, Four Corners, Maine, I invite you to leave a comment and share the answer to this Deep Thought with the rest of the world.

Hope you had a Happy Veteran's Day. My Grandfather sure did; he turned 90! See you in 10 years Willard Scott.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they put the railing and posts around the Four Corners marker because people were trying to park over all the states at one time? I wonder what that cost the taxpayers? Did all 4 states contribute equally or did they do it according to their population? When we were there in 1988, you walked up to the place and just bent over and took a picture.

Steve--a.k.a Dr. Humor said...

I guess if people starting dying at the 4 corners, would they have to call in the 4 coroners?

Anonymous said...

in maine, the tri-state area is maine, vermont, and new hampshire.

also in maine, LA stands for lewiston-auburn and not los angeles.

'tis a silly place.

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Where My Readers Are...

Visit http://www.ipligence.com